Swimming Lessons the Olympic Way!
- WEEKEND LESSONS – back by popular demand! In addition to our popular weekday swimming lessons, ECC is offering weekend lessons for those working families and for whom getting to lessons during the week is difficult. ECC’s weekend lessons will be 30 minutes in length and take place on Sunday mornings from June 30 to August 18 (8 weeks). All swim lessons are included in the pool membership.
- At ECC we follow the Olympic Way form of swimming lessons. The Olympic Way is a dynamic, progressive program that teaches strokes through a logical progression of skills. Its goal is to develop strokes at a competitive level, focusing on front crawl, breaststroke, back crawl and butterfly, while still offering swimmers a fun and educational experience. There are eight performance levels associated with Olympic Way program: White, Yellow, Green, Red, Blue, Bronze, Silver & Gold. For more information on the performance criteria associated with each level, please click here.
- White, yellow, Green, Red & Blue courses will consist of 4, 20 minute lessons each week (ie., Monday thru Thursday).
- Bronze, Silver & Gold courses will consist of 2, 40 minute lessons each week (ie., either Monday & Wednesday or Tuesday & Thursday of each week).
- New program returns for 2013: Gold Plus We know that many of our swimmers pass Gold well before they are ready to move into Bronze Star*, the level before Bronze Medallion. Since many of these children end up repeating Gold for lack of any other option, and because of the success we had last year, we’ve decided to keep the “Gold Plus” level. This will be offered Tuesdays and Thursdays or Mondays and Wednesdays, and is only open to children who have already passed Gold. This will enable the instructor to focus on more advanced technique, and, depending on the age and maturity level of the group, introduce some basic lifesaving concepts. *Although there is no age minimum for Bronze Star, this is a lifesaving course that introduces swimmers to concepts in first aid, recovery and rescue, and CPR techniques.
- The summer is divided into two (2), four week sessions. Report cards will be handed out during the last class of each session.
- For the second session of the summer, lesson times will be similar to those provided during the first session unless otherwise requested.
- As it is difficult to determine from summer to summer how many children will be registering in each level, this year we have decided to build the lessons schedule based on the demand, not on pre-set lessons and time.
- Based on the demand, the appropriate swimming lessons will be offered during each time slot; however, registration for a particular time period will be done on a first come first served basis on Registration Day
The Bronze Star award is the pre-Bronze Medallion training standard and it provides excellent preparation for success in obtaining the Bronze Medallion award. In Bronze Star, participants develop problem-solving and decision-making skills as individuals and as partners. They learn cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR), and they develop Water Smart® confidence and the lifesaving skills needed to be their own personal lifeguard. Read details about this program.
The Bronze Medallion award teaches an understanding of the lifesaving principles embodied in the four components of water rescue education: judgment, knowledge, skill, and fitness. Rescuers learn tows and carries, and defence and release methods in preparation for challenging rescues of increased risk, involving conscious and unconscious victims of various types. Participants also develop stroke efficiency and endurance in timed swims. Read details about this program.
The Bronze Cross award is designed for lifesavers who want the challenge of more advanced training, including an introduction to safe supervision in aquatic facilities. Bronze Cross is a prerequisite for all advanced training programs, including National Lifeguard Service® (NLS) and Instructor certification. Read details about this program.
This course will consist of one 30-minute lesson each week. This lesson is for children 12 and under at a minimum level of Blue in their swimming lessons. The purpose of this course is to introduce the child to the game of waterpolo with the intention of recruiting to waterpolo teams.
This course will consist of one 30-minute lesson each week. This lesson is for children 12 and under at a minimum level of Blue in their swimming lessons. The purpose of this course is to introduce the child to the wonders of synchronized swimming with the intention of recruiting to synchro teams.
This course will consist of one 30-minute lesson each week. These courses are open to all children at a minimum level of Green in their swimming lessons.
The lessons schedule for session 1 is not yet ready.
Contact Felicia Iannetta for scheduling requests and updates.